Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Kelly Classic

I'm a Texan, so, almost by default, I love Mexican food. When I lived in Massachusetts I would go nearly weekly to my favorite transplant Tex-Mex chain. You know, the kinda place that gives you free chips, damn spicy salsa, and handmade tortillas. But, in general, it was difficult to find comida excellente. I have to say that moving to California, for many reasons, was the right call. Fresh produce, abundant Mexican food, and fish-freaking-tacos! I'm in my culinary sandbox here and I'm loving it.

So, the Kelly Classic isn't fish tacos (though, a recipe for those will no doubt come very soon; I'm getting hungry just thinking about them)... it's chicken enchiladas con salsa verde.Making these bad boys takes some time. So, it's not a recipe I like to conquer unless a) I'm not exhausted by the days' activities, and b) I know I've got a good 1.5 hours.

Chicken Enchiladas con Salsa Verde
1-2 chicken breasts (Note: I like to buy organic. So, these days I've been getting the chicken breast with the rib bones and skin still attached, 'cause it's waaaay less expensive. Once cooked, the meat is easy to remove from the bone and the skin comes off just as quickly.)
8 oz jar of tomatillo salsa
1/2 an onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, sliced
1 big handful of fresh cilantro
8 or so corn tortillas (or however many enchiladas you want to make; this recipe makes great leftovers, so I always cook more than we can eat in one night)
1/2 cup chicken stock/broth
1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
chili powder

Throw the chicken breasts in a pot to boil for at least 25 minutes until they're cooked through. Set aside and let cool. In the meantime, put your salsa, onion, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor or blender and go at it until the all ingredients are totally pureed. Pour about half of it in a mediumish bowl.

Then, shred your chicken, discarding the bones and skin. Using a couple of forks makes this a pretty easy task, plus you don't have to wait for the chicken to completely cool. Place the shredded chicken in the bowl with the salsa mixture, and add about a 1/2 cup of your cheese. Mix that all up and set aside.

To prepare the torts, heat the chicken broth in a shallow saute pan on medium heat. Dip each tort quickly, just enough to make it pliable. After all your torts are prepped, get out your favorite rectangular baking dish and start assembling! Stuff each tortilla with the chicken cheese mixture, roll it over once, and place it in the dish so that it won't roll open during cooking. Once all your torts are stuffed, pour the other half of the salsa mixture over top the naked enchiladas. I tend to get better results if I pour the salsa deliberately over each enchilada rather than dousing the whole dish. Then, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and, finally, dust each enchilada with chili powder.

Bake these babies in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown around the edges of the dish. Don't forget to let them sit several minutes after you take them outta the oven, or your beautiful enchiladas will fall right apart. They're great with sour cream, spanish rice, and, of course, cervezas!

2 comments:

  1. I love cali-mex. Lotteria Tacos in the old farmer's market is a really great example--yes of course they have the carnitas that makes a tear run down your cheek, but they have zuchinni tacos, nopales tacos, pumpkin tacos, mushroom tacos... So california, y muy delicioso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, haven't been there! It's now on the list.

    ReplyDelete